3/18/2014

Good morning   32  cold rainy.

Fiona's Visit   Part 2

After tour, lunch break is at 12:30 p.m. This slowpoke here didn't leave much room for it (my college nickname was Pokey) but Alana was very kind and we went to Denny’s for a breakfast lunch. I didn't recall being that hungry for lunch in a very long time.

So what’s the rest of the day? Playing with the cats...NO! The rooms are clean, afternoon time is for the cat cleaning!
When we got back to BCR, it was more spot cleaning, more laundry, more dishes, filtering more water, and in a few cases administering some meds. In the afternoon, the cats get their weight checked, ears cleaned, claws trimmed, coats groomed and a general look-over to be sure everyone is healthy and happy. There's also play time to exercise and entertain the cats...and scooping litter boxes!

At 3:00 p.m., there's the half hour building tour. After that, most of the employees go home and it was just Alana and me. (This was before Christina started working afternoon-night shifts.)

Around 4:00 p.m., I went back to the motel for a quick rest and a look-see online. And when I say quick, I mean quick because I had to be back by 5 p.m. to help with dinner, dishwashing and for chat and boxes that night! And scooping litter boxes!

So what’s it like to do chat and boxes?
The first time I was clearly nervous – and tired. But I got into the swing of it and had a blast. I felt like I was talking to all my online BCR friends, from all over the country and the world, and that made me enormously happy. It was also the only time that day when I got to sit around with the kitties!

After boxes, the work isn’t over. There’s final cleanup to do, medications, closing the catio doors for the night and other last minute tasks. And scooping litter boxes! Thank goodness, BCR now has a night person to help out. I don’t know how Alana managed all the late afternoon and evening work on her own after getting up before 5 in the morning!

Getting back to the motel room for the night.
Whew! What a long day! By now, I have learned Essential Lesson #2: Have really good cushioning shoes (which I didn’t) and bring along an over the counter pain reliever. By the way – in St. Pauls, it’s hard to find a bottle of wine or 6-pack. You might want to BYOB for the trip.   (Alana talking,  She didn't know that Food Lion was 1 block away,  the ABC store is across the street from the hotel if you want a hard drink)

Most of my dinners consisted of Subway. (Not complaining!) For your alternate dining pleasure, there is a McDonald's, Hardee's and  Food Lion, & Piggly Wiggly grocery store in St. Pauls. Denny's restaurant is in Lumberton, about 17 miles from BCR.

Of course, being an online BCR addict, I’d log in and chat for a while. But soon the hard work takes over, and it’s sleepy time – until the next alarm goes off.

Why would I go back for a second stint of this insanity?
Because I absolutely love everyone at BCR and the cats. So I had a return engagement during Christmas week in 2013 to help out a bit for a few days.

Some of you know, I pursuing a new lifetime career in animal care and welfare. I’m not exactly sure where this new path will lead, but I consider my volunteer time at BCR to be the most valuable learning experience I’ve had!

What’s the best part of my March 2013 stint?
No denying it, finding Athena, my blind kitten. A nearby shelter had a kitten with damaged eyes. BCR was full and could not take her – but they posted her pic on FB that happened to coincide with the volunteer trip I had already planned. (You did that on purpose Alana!) It took a village of people to rescue and rehab my beautiful girl. Thanks go out to the vet who removed her damaged eyes, got her healthy and boarded her.  Thanks to Bare Baron for transporting her to BCR. And many thanks to Alana for allowing Athena to stay at BCR while I was there!

Fiona with  Athena


Thank you so much for the gifts from our wish lists!
http://blindcatrescue.com/wishlist.htm

Thank you April Mueller for the freshstep, clorox cleanup and bleach!
Thank you Anna Alonova for the freshstep!
Thank you Tonya Sutherland for the clavamox!
Thank you Christina Stemler for all the Revolution flea treatment!


Thank you so much for the gifts from our Amazon Wish lists!

Amazon often does not tell us who you are and they never give us your contact information. 
 Please know how grateful we are to you for your kindness and generosity!!


Thank you Olivia Perry for the Amazon gift card!
Thank you Kim Markowicz for the Amazon Gift Card!
Thank you Veronica Belsuzarri for the food!
Thank you Tina and Richard Garland for the food!

Natalie loves sitting on the boxes while waiting

Thank you unnamed for the foods
Thank you Victoria Bosanko for the foods!
Thank you Linda Carden for the clocks and batteries!
Thank you Heidi Mead for the foods!

Katerina

Thank you unnamed for the toys
Thank you Elizabeth Bonnett for the toys!
Thank you Laura Hoffman for the food & litters!
Thank you Tracy Anderson for the ear cleaner!


A cute video of Joey from last night









Sterling hope you will please vote for the cats to win in the following contests 
1. http://www.shopforyourcause.com/voting-challenge 
DAILY (category LARGE RESCUE Shelter, Blind Cat ) 
2. http://www.shelterchallenge.com/ DAILY 
3. https://apps.facebook.com/my-contests/zoqds 
Thank you for helping the cats!! Please like & share
















Comments

Popular Posts